2016年1月10日星期日

Why do you take photos?

After taking photos for several years, I became more confused about photography. “Why do you take photos?” I asked myself. There are countless photos on the Internet and millions of pictures been taken every single day. As Susan Sontag said, “The inventory started in 1839 and since then just about everything has been photographed, or so it seems.” If that’s true, why do you still taking photos? What is the difference you can make?

Well, my answer is “I take photos because I’m thinking. I kept taking photos because I have not find the answer.”  Regardless the final image, by taking photos I’m searching for the answer of who am I, where am I, and the meaning of what I am doing.  

I’ve been thinking these questions for many years. Before high school I was just doing what I was told to do, studying hard and having a goal of becoming to a scientist in the future. Then I took a year off and travelled around and spent some time reading. During that period, for the first time I was thinking about the meaning of my life. Sometimes I felt I found a clue but most time I was in confusion. 

Obviously, I’m not a good writer. If I can write, I will write what I feel. If I can paint, I will paint it what I saw. Unfortunately, taking photos is the only way I can record my feeling or express myself, so camera is my best friend. I believe that if I happened to capture a photo that toughed me, at least there will be a small amount of people around the world who have similar experience resonate bout it.


From Australia to China, then to America, I kept searching the answer, and I will keep taking photos.

1 条评论:

  1. Jinyao-- I think your question of why you photograph is because you have no choice in the matter. It is evident that you are a caring sentient being who is concerned with the world at-large, and that you see yourself as a citizen of the planet. Your observations are poignant and concise-- your emotion is real and you are genuinely engaged in your expression. I was most struck by your statement in class of how most of your shared images were made on a single roll of film. I am amazed by that and I applaud your concise dedication of visual acuity-- that statement may be confusing, but it is important to understand that you are photographing with your heart and proceeding at your own pace, observing all that is around you. Your work is inspirational, beautiful and haunting-- your voice is poetic, sensitive and strong, Your journey will lead you to a life well-lived.

    回复删除